The Film Cage is where you can check out film & video equipment to complete your assignments. All film equipment and many pieces of video gear are available here, while more advanced video gear is available from the Video Boutique. To ensure that all equipment is in proper working condition and available to as many students as possible, the Cage has a number of guidelines that must be followed. Please learn and follow these guidelines in order maintain your access to the Cage and its related facilities- access is a privilege, not a right.
The cage is open for checkout during the following hours:
Monday 11 am – 2 pm
Tuesday 11 am – 2 pm,
6:30 pm – 7:30 pm
Wednesday Closed for checkout
Thursday 11 am – 2 pm,
6:30 pm – 7:30 pm
Friday 11 am – 2 pm
1. You must be currently enrolled in a Film/Video course and be able to present a valid MassArt ID to check out equipment.
2. You are completely financially responsible for loss or damage, including theft, to any equipment checked out to you. This includes all cases and accessories. Never leave equipment unattended!
3. Reservations may be made no earlier than 14 days in advance
4. Reserved equipment will be held in the cage for up to 30 minutes past your pickup time, after which it is considered forfeited.
5. You must pick up AND return all equipment in person. You cannot send somebody else to pick up or return for you. Equipment is not considered returned until it has been checked in by a cage employee.
6. Please make no attempts to repair or modify any equipment. If there are problems, please immediately report them to a studio manager via e- mail or in person.
7. Reservations must be made in person or via the PIR system on MassArt’s website. E-mail and phone reservations are not accepted.
8. Do not lend equipment to another person or check out equipment for another person. You are completely responsible for what happens to equipment checked out under your name.
Through the film cage, you can reserve time in the screening rooms, sound studio, and 309 lighting studio. Check the department calendar for availability. Reservations can be made by visiting the cage during normal hours. To access the lighting studio, you must either complete a lighting workshop or be enrolled in a class with a lighting safety element.
LATENESS & PENALTIES
Late returns of equipment are unacceptable as they hinder your fellow
students’ ability to complete their work. Penalties will be accrued for late
returns as follows:
Your first late return will result in a loss of checkout privileges for 7 days.
Your second late return will result in a loss of checkout privileges for the
remainder of the semester.
Any severe lateness (defined as more than 24 hours after your set return
time) will incur fines. The fine is $100 for each camera, and $25 for each
other item, for every 24 hours after the return time.
617 879 7445
617 879 7446